Service tax is a type of tax levied by central government of India on certain services rendered. These exclude services listed under the negative list. The service tax payer can be anyone, the service provider, service receiver or anyone else who is liable. As of June 2015, the service tax levied is at 14%.
Service Tax Registration Online:
One can apply for service tax registration online without any hassles. The central board of excise tax and customs has come up with a new software called ACES (Automation of Central excise and service tax) which aims at making taxpayers’ services better. ACES consists of the entire tax process including registration, returns, accounts, refunds and much more. One can apply for tax service registration online by registering with ACES.
Service Tax Registration Procedure:
Listed below are the steps to register for service tax online:
- Go to the official ACES website
- Select the option ‘Service tax’
- Once the user selects the ‘New User’ option, they will be directed to a relevant registration page
- The assessee has to provide certain details such as name of the unit, designation, phone number, etc, in order to register
- The user can submit the form once they are done entering the details
- The user will receive the username and password on the email provided within 24 hours of submitting the details.
Service Tax Registration Form:
One can find the service tax registration form online on ACES. The form is called ‘Form st 1’ and can be find online once you register with ACES. Listed below are some of the details that you have to fill in the form in order to successfully apply for service tax.
- Details of Permanent Account Number
- Constitution of applicant
- Contact details of the proprietor
- Category of registrant
Service Tax Registration Status:
Once the applicant has submitted the service tax form online, they can track the progress and status of it online on their ACES account.
Documents Required for Service Tax Registration:
Listed below are the documents required for service tax registration:
- Form ST 1
- Copy of PAN card of the assessee
- Address proof
- Memorandum of Association
- Power of attorney
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Who has to pay service tax? Anyone who is a receiver of taxable service has to pay service tax.
- What are taxable services?One can refer to section 65 of the Finance Act 1994 to obtain a list of taxable services.
- What is the rate of service tax in India?The current rate of service tax in India is 14%.
- How long does it take to obtain service tax registration?It takes about a week for the government to issue Service tax registration certificate from the date of submission of form ST-1.
- Is there a penalty charged for not obtaining service tax registration?
A penalty of up to Rs.10,000 can be charged in case of failure to obtain service tax registration.